Wednesday 22 March 2017

Wood Larks at Santon Downham

13th March 2017

OK, the reason for going to The Brecks today was to try for the Lesser Spotted Woodpeck and Otter on the Little Ouse to the west of Santon Downham. Today neither were obliging but there were other species during the day to make life interesting. First up was this female Siskin which came down for a drink as I walked along the river and back at the car park a Goldcrest was quite keen to have his photo taken.




On now to Cavenham Heath to see if any Stone Curlews had returned for the summer and a chance to walk around the heath for Linnets, Stonechats, Meadow Pipits and Wood Larks. Well, two out of four wasn't too bad and I did manage a few shots of a female Stonechat as she posed on the Gorse, and a Meadow Pipit on the heather.








But by far the best moment of the day was when I stepped out of the car at St Helens car park and could immediately hear a Wood Lark singing. I walked over to the edge of the car park and scanned all the fences, posts, bushes, and clods of earth to no avail. Then after a few minutes, I realised it was moving and turned my attention skywards. After a few minutes I did manage to pick it up and watched it until it dropped to the ground and managed to get these rather distant shots.












When it eventually flew there were three birds, although I never saw the other two on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.